My most epic project of all time… a present for my sister and her new husband :D
Key knitting facts:
Pattern: Persian Dreams by Jenise Reid- wonderful pattern, the colourwork is charted so that made it easy to follow, and I found the grafting well explained.
Needles: 2.75mm - oww tiny needles!
Yarn: Drops Alpaca - beautiful yarn, steam blocks so well!
- Each hex is 8,394 stitches
- 19 hexes: 159,486 stitches
- The border has 30 edges
- Each section of edge is 940 stitches
- Border total = 28,200
- Grafting came to 1,974 stitches
- Total number of stitches was 189,660
- Started 7th May - finished knitting 19th August = 104 days elapsed time.
Apart from the obvious change to the colour palette, I missed out 5 hexagons and made the overall shape a hexagon, this was due to running out of time and not wanting to knit another of the middle hexagons - the non symmetrical patterns were much harder to knit than the symmetrical ones.
The border - this was supposed to be knit on as you go, however I read on the ravelry forum for this pattern’s designer Feminine by Design, that other people were leaving it until the end and I thought that was very sensible incase I wanted to adjust placement (which it turned out I very much wanted to do!). When I got to the end I asked various knitterly folk their opinions on the best way to tackle the border and the consensus was to knit it on. This meant using the following formula:
co10 separately, then
row 1: k9, k2tog (second stitch from the edge of the blanket)
row 2: k9, slp1
Repeat the two rows until you meet the cast on - in my case 28,200 stitches later, using short rows at the corners (add 10 stitches on the outtie corners and take away 10 on the innies)! If you want more detailed instructions for this let me know.
I have been knitting an average of 1,823 stitches per day - some days I didn’t work on this at all though, especially at the beginning because I was working on the stripey crocheted blanket until the 6th June.
I was knitting a section of edge in about an hour, so I probably worked on the project 2 hours a day for the 104 days, so that’s at least 208 hours wow! I was taking about 4 days to knit a hex, so 2 hours a day seems about right. Overall if I assume 208 hours to knit 189,660 stitches, my rate is about 15 stitches per minute. The hexes were slower than the border because the middles were fiddley.
Holy. Mother. Of God.